Saturday, February 9, 2013

Long distance is hard... but it's doable.

long distance for dummies: long distance sucks, but it's better than the alternative


Let's face it. Long distance relationships suck. But, if you care about the person enough, long distance is a much better alternative than not being together.

I'm Susie, and this is the second time in about 2 1/2 years that my boyfriend, Lars, and I have been in a long distance relationship. When we first started dating, I was a sophomore in college and Lars was a senior a month from graduation. And after graduation, he was moving to Maryland. We both knew it. But, we dated anyways, without trying to "define" the relationship.

long distance for dummies: Lars and Susie

We visited each other a few times at first. He came to the Chicago area to primarily visit his mom, but also got to spend time with me. I was going to New York with my family, and so after the trip I took the bus to DC to see Lars. He came out for homecoming. We found reasons to visit each other, even though we weren't "in a relationship" yet. 

But after about 8 months, Lars came to Chicago. To visit me, no other reasons this time. And we decided that we cared about each other enough to be exclusive and call ourselves "in a relationship." This decision, for me, hinged on the possibility that Lars might move back to Chicago. Once I knew that he had plans to move there in the future, I was able to commit.

So, a year after we first starting seeing each other, Lars did move to Chicago. It was wonderful. We got to see each other several times a week. We got to celebrate holidays together. We didn't have to deal with bad internet connections for Skype or organizing travel plans.

But then, when I graduated, I decided to pursue a Master's degree. In Vermont. So here we are again, in a long distance relationship. 

Despite being long distance, we are very happy together. We make a point to talk to and visit each other. And we have figured out how to make long distance work, for us. We decided to share some of our wisdom with other people struggling through long distance for the first time. So, we hope that our advice helps you. 

2 comments:

  1. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am by name Miss jane ,And i am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-boyfriend that I love so much. I had a boyfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when his friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to him just because he was been jealous of his friend that i was dating and on the scene my boyfriend just walk in and he thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to him that his friend always do this whenever he is not with me and i always refuse him but i never told him because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but he never believed me. he broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make him believe me but he never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. AKHERE and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months. Email him at: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call / whatsapp: +2349057261346

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips